Sunday, September 7, 2008

LUCKY is my middle name

My Top 5 Must Do's in Shanghai were:
(1) Attend the Sweets China Expo (2) Ride the Maglev (3) Eat Xiao Long Bao (4) Go to a water town (5) Watch Tai Chi. Since the first two were uneventful and the next two bombed, I was on a mission when I set out for Fuxing Gongyuan, the only thing that got me out on the street before 8am.

The Parisian-style park was alive with random activity-- kung fu and wushu, ballroom and traditional dancing, kite flying, top twirling, singing, and yes-- TAI CHI, lots of tai chi. Amongst the thousands of locals, I was the lone foreigner, a voyeur. It was almost religious.

I took a while to meander through the tree-lined streets for the very last time and take it all in: the early mornings sights, the distinct Chinese smells, the nippy autumn feel, and I gave thanks.

Queuing up at the airport departure counter, the last thing I expected was an out-of-body/in-a-movie experience. On the same flight was the AL JARREAU & GEORGE BENSON touring posse. YES WAY!!! Let it suffice to say that I got more than just an autograph.

Kirk Ngo said today was to be a lucky day. At an earlier post, my former student and lone blog reader revealed that the Gregorian Calendar's 080808 when reflected on the Chinese Lunar Calendar actually fell on 090708-- TODAY. I am now a firm believer!

2 comments:

kirk said...

Kirk Ngo said today was to be a lucky day. At an earlier post, my former student and lone blog reader revealed that the Gregorian Calendar's 080808 when reflected on the Chinese Lunar Calendar actually fell on 090708-- TODAY. I am now a firm believer!
- hahaha chef, "lone blog reader!" ang kulit!! at least you got something after the incident on your camera! lots of good things in exchange for a bad one!

Peachy Juban said...

I looked forward to that day thinking of your words. It was prophetic!