Sunday, June 29, 2008

Truffle Tower reinvented

The Tabugs and I go way back. 30 years easily qualify as WAAAY BACK. There's Mama Tabug, Papa Tabug, Tabuging, Mini Tabug and Micro Tabug. I owe Tabuging my highschool diploma for without him, I would have never made it through computer science. He may actually have single-handedly accomplished our entire Senior D class' BASIC final project in casette tape (circa 1987). Anyway, I deviate... Mini Tabug just got married.

For his wedding cake, Mini presented me a challenge: a dessert ensemble. And it had to be something I had never done before. Cheeky, ha!

I may have spoken of it before... that supersonic whirring of the mind when a good idea hits, a light bulb moment-- it happened again.

For love of the Tabugs, I came up with a tribute to my favorite Starbucks concoction, The Caramel Macchiato: layers of chocolate cake, caramel sauce and coffee buttercream. Embellishments were floral appliques using almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios and pecan halves. And a special mirror-based display was designed to have a core of hundreds of fresh chocolate truffles in Rum, Mandarin and Raspberry.

News just in: The entire lot was wiped out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations on this wonderful creation! mwah! mwah!

jojitT said...

Hi Peach,

Thanks so much for making that beautiful work of art! Armie and I thank you from the bottom of our heart for taking the time to do it. The guests kept on saying how beautiful and different the wedding cake was. A lot of people asked who did it and naturally i made yabang... " she is a close family friend eh si Peachy Juban of Shortcrust..." :)

I literally had to ask the Captain Waiter to SAVE the remaining 2 cakes on the top pero when they were trying to save it some guests went back for it and grabbed a huge chunk of one of the last two cakes on the top. Mom even said na she never got to taste it so we really had to save one or else....

The cake was beautiful, i so loved the pecan halves on the bottom of each cake and the way the nuts were done on the side (no pun intended).

Thanks peach til the next one!!!