Thursday, June 19, 2008

Baking 101



The College of St.Benilde's School of Hotel Restaurant and Institution Management (SHRIM) has co-hosted the Manila Foods and Beverages Exposition at the World Trade Center for the past 2 years. It is definitely a win-win situation as the trade show is a great venue made a-buzz with students and their activities.

For someone who has been known to lecture for 6 hours straight, I should have had more faith that I could pull off a mere 2. Give me a mike, an audience and BAKING as a topic and you have to stand back-- because I will be spinning! And today I zzzipped!!!

For Baking 101, the lecture, I chose to impart tips from experiences picked up the past 15 years of practice. I admit to also shamelessly quoting and borrowing from Regan Daley's insightful 'In The Sweet Kitchen'. Although a lot of the materials in her recipes would be near-impossible to source locally, the book is an invaluable reference particularly for ingredient information, one I highly recommend for enthusiasts.

It never ceases to humble me how a teacher holds such a position of power. A teacher has the ability to influence, mold, affect. It is actually a little scary. And cool at the same time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My cake idol's website has finally gone live :) Congratulations!

Peachy, you never cease to amaze me, and today my admiration for you just went up several more notches as I watched you mentor all the young talent at the MAFBEX. "ZZZIP" and spin you certainly did! It was actually a little scary. And cool at the same time. Hahaa!

Thank you Peachy, for being such an inspiration....

michelle h.

Peachy Juban said...

Hahahahaha! We have to stop waxing poetic about each other!

I do appreciate that you and Karla shared your time and expertise with the students at competition. The energy and heart they put into their efforts deserve no less than to be judged by Shugarush and Clay Cakes standards.

Til next photo shoot!