Sunday, June 15, 2008

The table turns...

Stephen Almeda, Dante Abalos and I are like spirits, consumed with passion for pastry. We hyperventilate when conversing about sugar and chocolate. These are my boys from our very first batch of culinary majors (ID #102) who have since persevered to hone their craft. Every once in a while we touch base, and when I am lucky I get pasalubong.

Dante was one of the three fortunate to assist Chef Nick Malgieri during his recent 2-day workshop at the Rockwell Tent. It was an inspiring experience he shared by getting me an autographed copy of 'Perfect Cakes'. Yes, Dante, you brought me cake and truffles too.

And you know the heavens are smiling upon you when a treat like fresh-from-Paris macarons drop onto your lap. Stephen knew I would be one to appreciate Laduree's signature confection, but I don't think he was ready to see me practically weep with every nibble.

Before his European sojourn, Stephen completed apprenticeships with Makati Shangri-la and The Bellevue Alabang. He also went for further studies with ISCAHM's Ernie Babaran, himself a big influence in my career. Dante is now an integral part of The Peninsula Manila's pastry kitchen and remains a genuinely enthusiastic practitioner, often sharing recipes and techniques with his old teacher.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Laduree??!!!! aaahhh!!! you are sooo blessed! its the first thing that I'll look for when i go to Paris! that and pierre herme's shop!

Peachy Juban said...

I was savoring it nibble by precious nibble-- then my mom casually plops one in her mouth. I screamed!

Stephen is now on a research assignment for me in Sweden. I have tasked him to perform comparative analysis on the traditional Princess Torta.