Friday, November 7, 2008

The Great Binondo FOOD WOK, reprised

Hiatus, meatus! I don't care what anyone says, I enjoy writing and I write for myself. I kinda like the idea of my thoughts as words making its mark on the world wide web, my unique indelible fingerprints, therefore I will continue to write. Not that anyone could tell I was on strike, NO ONE READS MY BLOGS ANYWAY. Nevertheless, I am back. So there!

Touching once more on Tony Bourdain's recent Manila shoot...
It is said that one of the few things on his brief itinerary was Ivan Man-Dy's GREAT BINONDO FOOD WOK. Below is a reprisal of my very first post ever, saved from blog-on-sabbatical, Can Bake, Will Travel. This tour made such an impression that I have snuck Asian Cuisine classes to it several times since.

"It would have to be a real good reason to get me anywhere near downtown Manila on a rainy day. As it happens, July 11 had a real fun reason too: The Museum Foundation organized a Great Binondo Food Wok, and it's soo my thing!

I knew the best companion on a
food trip was to be Larry. It was he who, after just 30 minutes, declared our afternoon a success. Our guide Ivan's knowledge, respect and pride for his Chinoy heritage impressed us immediately. He regaled our small group with anecdotes, FAQ's and not-so-FAQ's that spanned over 300 years of China Town's colorful history, covering everything from purple firetrucks to a chocolateria, to Fookien dumplings, to a traditional engagement shop and drugstore, to fried siopao, to a buddhist temple, and more!

It was a discovery, an eye-opener, a treasure hunt...
4 hours weren't enough! Rain or no rain, I would go again!"




The young, eloquent and funny history/architecture/food/tsismis afficionados of Old Manila Walks also offer walking tours of the Chinese Cemetery (Mounds, Magnates & Mausoleums), San Miguel-Malacanan District (Power Palace), FEU Campus (A FEU Good Men) and Intramuros (Walls of This Content). For schedule, details, directions, call (632) 7113823/ (0917) 3291622 for Ivan/Cherry. Email oldmanilawalks@gmail.com. Blog www.oldmanilawalks.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We read your blogs, Peachy! But you haven't even answered my post asking about the fruitcake! Haha!
CJ

kirk said...

here is where i grew up! you should try foodtripping on the streets of ongpin, salazar, gandara and benevidez.. now that would be a great chinese food experience:D