Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Fountain of Youth

I come from good strong stock. My 90-year old lola, until very recently, walked totally unaided and still gets in a card game or two almost everyday. But there was no denying the symptoms, and I had to finally drag myself to the ophthalmologist right before this trip. At his clinic, Anton Javellana, my seatmate for many years at Zobel, welcomed me cheekily with, "Are you 40 yet?"... and I greeted him emphatically with, "$#^& %@#!". Far sightedness notwithstanding, FYI, I was rated in the top 21% at the latest faculty physical and stamped as 'Class A'-- fit as fit can be to work. HA!


CSB's Young Hotelier's Exposition, a school-wide competition, is designed to be an alternative source of learning and a showcase of young talent. For a week every term, all energies are reserved for participating in or helping out with this 100% student-run event. The halls are a-buzz with almost maniacal activity and although it's a whole lot of fun, it is certainly taken very seriously. It also serves as a chance for long-serving practitioners to give back and to look back. For last week's YHE, I facilitated two categories and invited friends from the industry to help as judges-- Judy Uson (The Cake Artist), Aggy Villabona (Aggy's Cakes) and Stephen Ong (Link Import-Export Enterprises) for BEST IN CAKE DECORATING; James Antolin (CCA Manila/Les Toques Blanches Philippines), Don Salubayba (international visual artist/founder, Anino Shadowplay), Geri Chua (Eng Bee Tin/The Mezzanine/Mr.Ube Noodle House/Fil-Chi Baker's Association/Association of Philippine Volunteer Firefighters) for ARTISTIC BREAD SCULPTURE.

Hardly anyone leaves these events untouched, the vibes are too strong and the spirits too positive, everyone is on fire! That must be why I keep coming back for more.

2 comments:

ena said...

yayy nikki, steph and mich!! =)

kirk said...

hahaha! chef! i remeber when i guessed your age when we were in bohol! i received a hard slap on my arms! hahaha:D