Friday, November 14, 2008

Fine dining at 30,000 feet

The Purser-In-Command just announced that we are soon approaching 65F San Francisco and I can't believe I haven't begun to write before now. That's how absolutely crazy this trip is, never before have I set out to travel so ill-prepared: no lists, no itinerary and lamentably, no credit card!!! The countdown to madness I had going on in FaceBook managed to get even Trixie anxious-- and she had no clue what it was leading to! Oh, if only she knew! Coupling work and school, then fast forwarding preparations 2 weeks into the CHRISTMAS season was at times more than I thought and felt I could take. And when I kidded that I would collapse from the pressures-- I DID! Rushing out of the house to class on my last day, lugging a laptop, 2 school bags and a piping bag, I fell flat on my back under all of the above. From the floor I looked up at the heavens praying, "Please don't let me hurt anywhere!" I was lucky to walk away with only a broken nail. After that, my sole goal was to just get on this plane.

It sure pays to have friends in high places... literally. Out of all the sampids on PR104, I was QUEEN!!! And I milked that opportunity for everything it could offer. Cool flew out the window from the port bow where bright flashes accompanied course after course of the menu designed by PAL Inflight's Chef Ian McKenzie and specialties from his Pinoy Chef Brigade which includes J Gamboa of El Cirkulo/Azuthai, Ferns Aracama of Embassy/Tides Boracay, Buddy Trinidad of Park Avenue Desserts, Gene and Gino Gonzales of Cafe Ysabel/CACS. I chose Minced Pork Adobo with Fruit Salsa and Mango Seafood Roll for apps, Pinais na Alimasag sa Mustasa for dinner, Cod Steak with sweet Soya Sauce for breakfast, and EVERYTHING ELSE in between.

If I were to die now, it really wouldn't be a bad way to go-- fully reclined at the First Class section with Brut Champagne clutched in one hand.

1 comment:

kirk said...

this is what we call living the life!