Monday, July 28, 2008

What's in a name?

To those of you who are 80’s babies, these guys are urban legends: Jonathan Livingston Sy, Edgar Allan Pe, William Te, Andy Lim and Kenneth Sy.

The list of characters at Shortcrust is just as interesting. The major players through the years, bakers all, is led by my right hand and pioneer, PIN. There are the Esquilonas: decorating protege RUSTOM, and MONAY, the somber-faced yet cheery-voiced cashier. She was the replacement for older sister BEBOT, now married after having been with us for almost 10 years. And then the Santisimas: Elder GWAPO (as it tickles him to be called) was also with me for about a decade before moving on to Saudi Arabia where he is now an accomplished baker/decorator, ANONG is our toughie and closet handyman, and JESUS, my errand-companion and Man Friday. (It seems that these boys’ parents were mightily religious… or irreverent. They named their twins Jesus and Maria, then the next child Jose... Santisima. Jesus-Mary-Joseph-Holy Ghost.) Newest addition is F.O.B NICKNOK (cousin of NICKNAK).

I take pride in that every single one who has joined Shortcrust started out learning from scratch. It is sobering that some of my guys were once fishermen and butchers in the province. Today, they are indispensable partners in whatever success Shortcrust has achieved, more adept in the practical aspects of baking than all of my BakiPa students combined.Jesus leaves us tomorrow to try his luck in Riyadh, as Gwapo did two years before. We part ways with heavy hearts for he was my sidekick, my Divisoria-buddy, at times my sounding board and buffer. He was always so polite, humorous, and exuded such positive energy. In his enthusiasm he sometimes turned clumsy, but always well-meaning. Even before I could call out, “LOAD!” my 10kg tote was already tucked under an arm, laptop and books packed into the car. He made me Imeldific.

Just like the rest of Team Shortcrust, Jesus was family. I will surely miss him— when pushing carts at the grocery, rifling desperately through my junk for car keys, biting into a perfectly chewy chocolate chip cookie, and cursing in traffic when out on deliveries. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

God speed!

No comments: