Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Circle of Life

I consider myself blessed to have a job that gives me the opportunity to share major milestones in life: beginning with christenings, marking births, various anniversaries, moving on to weddings and back again. My work has made it possible to form, renew and cement relationships with individuals, couples, families, even entire clans.

Our growing (De La Salle) Zobel mafia alone has packed my portfolio with cakes done for schoolmates and their network through the years. John and Sam (Amigo) Laurel, Jiggs and Ven (Laurel) Hermano, then Ace and Gela (Laurel) Stehmeier had their wedding cakes design-inspired by big brother Rajo and executed by me.

From eldest to youngest, the Montelibano brood, now all married off, were joys to work with. Neil and Jay (Montelibano) McLeod gave me a family fruitcake recipe to use as a base for their plaid Scottish tartan cake. Alvin and Tracy (Montelibano) Aquino who met in the UP carpool had a model car as accent. JD and Liza (Tajanlangit) Montelibano chose a seashell-dotted cake for their Tali Beach affair. And lastly, Richard and Jackie (Montelibano) Mendoza's December wedding cake sparkled with sugar poinsettias, edible Christmas balls and holiday glitter.

After Jocar and Cherie (Ocampo) Cervantes' 2006 Moroccan-inspired reception, we again collaborated, this time on the July baptismal of their firstborn, Javier.

Time does not just fly. More and more it gains turbo speed. I just recently realized that I had been making cakes for Gilbert and Donna (Pangilinan) Simpao and their 4 kids every year for the past 13 years since their wedding!

I am truly honored and privileged.




*Simpao photos courtesy of Donna

No comments: