Monday, July 28, 2008

From paper into sugar

Many summers growing up were spent between baking classes and art lessons. Fortunately, these tactile skills have now proven to be more than a little handy. It awes me to be able to VISUALIZE then REALIZE… proportions and dimensions, shapes and textures, lights and shadows.
There are clients who come to me with photos of cakes they want executed to scale. Those with great faith not only entrust me to conceptualize for them, but more importantly, work with me to design something bespoke, unique.

Eventually, as the relationship develops and matures, all it takes is a phone call, some details and voila! We are rockin! PhilAm Life Corporation has entrusted me with the birthday cakes of their beloved president, Jose L. Cuisia, long enough that such is the case. For possibly the most avid of La Salle supporters, I drew up Green Archer that was rolled in to the beat of the De La Salle Cheering Squad.

Ben Lozada and Ralyn Go capped their 10 year courtship with a July wedding entitled, ‘It’s About Time!’. The invitation was a clock face that, at one look, ingeniously gave all pertinent details of the affair: date, time, theme, color scheme. Ralyn had fallen in love with the Lantern Cake concept, and as Google would have it, I was led to the Lantern Clock, a little-known old English artifact. And so, after a little tweak here and a bit of engineering there, a wish was granted: light AND motion.

‘In showbiz, bigger is always better’, I have been told. I suppose that was why last year’s stack-of-gift-boxes took a back seat to Jollibee’s 4-foot cake for Sarah Geronimo. So for her 20th birthday, I pledged to make mine even more impressive. I put in color, I added height… taller and taller the layers became until it barely fit into my car. And our reward came. From the eight other cakes presented to her at Sunday’s ASAP show, it was our Yorkshire Terrier-topped tower that won the right to stand most prominently next to the celebrant-- AND hottie John Lloyd Cruz on stage. HA! So there!

1 comment:

kirk said...

grabe chef, ang galing! na-tv na ung cakes mo, ikaw nalang kulang! haha