Monday, December 1, 2008

Thanksgiving

The first time I was ‘flown-in’ to make a wedding cake was a challenge I embraced that had me tap-dancing for months. REALLY! The Asian Cuisine class I was lecturing when I received the call can attest to that.

Through that project, I developed an even more intense appreciation and deeper respect for my staff. Save for my Tita Puri, I had to prepare, bake and clean up on my own in an unfamiliar kitchen. At 2am, after a particularly tiring day of testing ingredients, my dry and chapped fingers shakily dialed Paranaque, and I tearily declared, “I miss you guys!”
The reception venue was at the gorgeous vineyard the groom’s family keeps in the Sonoma Valley in California. Not only are harvests top grade, but their kitchen is also fitted with the best… it was love at first sight.

For two days, I practically did without sleep to complete the task at hand: a twin bridal cake, dessert cakes, and cupcakes for the kids. But on the morning of the event, at hearing that Tito Dado was going to the tasting rooms of Ferrari-Carano and Silver Oak , I gathered fumes and worked in turbo speed to stack layers, shave chocolate, finish set-up… and load my withering body into the car, securing a seat just in time.

The weekend event included wine-tasting on the property that also had guests taking premium bottles home. The Banataos sure know how to throw a party!

A kick-ass entry to my Wine Journal was that served during this year’s Thanksgiving dinner at their Atherton home: Chateau St. Jean’s Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon that garnered 34th spot on Wine Spectator’s Top 100 Wines for 1996. The 18-year old wine was all the more impressive in a Salmanazar (9 liter) bottle, huge enough that I was too scared to lift it for a pose. I felt pressure build every time Tito Dado came 'round the table with his decanter that I’d gulp my glass clean for another top-up. I managed to stay on my feet by neutralizing alcohol with heaping servings of pumpkin and apple pies a la mode.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

(The Magdaraogs of California- Francis and Camille, Juan and Cheryl with Mia and Gabe, Jonee and Puri with Dolores)

No comments: