Sunday, December 21, 2008

GRANDSLAM!

Anyone who grew up in Alabang in the 80's will recall that Halloween was always celebrated almost as big as Christmas. Costumes were planned, routes were mapped, goody bags filled, lawns dressed... and golf carts revved. In the 90's, it got huge... then too huge.

That was merely part of my training in dressing up. My entire family gets into it. Last April, Lola Dolores' 90th birthday was celebrated in Roaring Twenties style. A message I once sent my best friend read: "You know how they say, 'you will grow up to be like your parents'? My mom just drove off in a tintless car fully made up as a CAT. Should I shoot myself now?"

The College of St.Benilde's School of Hotel, Restaurant and Institution Management has established a fun tradition for the faculty Christmas party. Every year, a central theme is voted on as basis for everyone to come in costume as-- and as luck would have it, I am the undisputed Costume Queen!

2004 (70's Disco): This era's bell-bottoms and hair, lots of it, scored for me top prize!

2005 (United Nations): A borrowed Rajo Laurel ensemble from Ven's glamorous wedding proved convincingly Indian.

2006 (Workforce): Feeding Academy One ballet students for the past 15 years came in handy. I realized a childhood dream in tutu.

2007 (Western): Still smarting from having my Old Cow lose out to G.I. Jane during 2003's Favorite Movie Character affair, my reprised spots came back with a vengeance as a Cow Girl or more precisely, a Girl Cow.

2008: (Fairy Tales and Fantasies): And last night, as the de-glamorized Wicked Witch, I won the coveted title for the 5th straight year! Whoo-hoo-hoot!!! Sorry, it's really such a trip! Oh o-kay, since I've made my point and inarguably snagged the Hall of Fame, I announce retirement next year. Hmmm... MAYBE.




Not an hour later, Joanne and I walked into CCA Manila Chef James Antolin's surprise 40th birthday party in 80's Goth. We were joined by sexy Madonnas, sweaty Flash Dancers, preppy Argyles and funky Brothel Creepers.

But with heels higher than any I own, leggings shinier than I'd ever buy, and more significantly, an honest-to-goodness KIREI jacket that even two decades ago I would never have been able to get away with, that round went to Diva DJ Angelo Villanueva... hands down.

I'm sure glad I didn't pull that trigger. This is just too much fun!

9 comments:

JM Paredes said...

Awwww!!! Christmas Costume party!!! =0) Nice one chef!! BEST IN COSTUME!!! =0)

ena said...

WICKED costume chef! haha! =)

l a c e . said...

cool costumes chef peachy!!how could u not win?!haha

happy new year!=) wish u all the best

-lace

kirk said...

whoa!! those pictures didn't look like the honorable chef-instructor that i usually see in chef's jacket at school! kudos to you for the effort and the award!

Anne said...

Congratulations Peach! WOW, grandslam! Not only you have the intelligence and brilliance in baking, decorating, writing, and blogging; you also have the bravery and creativity to look just like anything to securely bag the annual award! Wooo-hooohoooo-hoot! I admire your talents! Keep it up! I enjoy reading your blogs!

Joanne said...

You are amazing! Love all the yummy cakes! OMG! where can I order?

Gastrique said...

Hi Chef Peachy! It's been quite a while since your last post. I really can't wait for your next fun food adventures! I've always been a fan of your writing! so just write, write, write and bake, bake, bake! ok? haha It's me Ernie, I hope you can still remember me. Ciao!

ena said...

when are you gona start blogging again chef? :(

verySiara said...

Chef Peachy I love your Prima ballerina outfit..:D and wait is that Chef Shirley? haha.:D