Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Hellooo?!

Along with Bettina Manalastas-Javelona, Mia Herbosa and I made up the infamous THREE MUSKETEERS. Classmates since Grade 4 at De La Salle-Santiago Zobel School, our trio was inseparable for many years. There were weekends biking and skating with our busmates, baking at my house in Paranaque, and at times going on spins in Tito Bogie's fancy Alfa Romeos before a dinner out. Ballet class at Alabang Country Club was often immediately followed by bowling-- our ritual completed by a merienda of Spaghetti Bolognese, French Fries, Banana Split and Butterfly Iced Tea. Those were the days!

Bettina's mom was always a generous host of overnighters and makes simply the yummiest embutido! Tita Nani's family ran The Blue Kitchen at the Ateneo Law School in Makati for 45 years. They later on opened Komoro Soba and El Cisne Blanco, and now maintain Fukuya Japanese Restaurant. In turn, Mia's mom was one of the earliest influences I had in baking. Among the fondest flavors of my childhood would be the Enseimaditas from Elaine's Kitchen. Her version of the Spanish classic is barely 2 inches in diameter, generously topped with finely grated quezo de bola and baked just perfectly to melt-upon-contact. Yesterday, I picked up my first order in probably 20 years. I don't know why it took so long, but between L'arc En Ciel on Guava Drive and the Madrigal Gate in Ayala Alabang I already downed 6! I was practically in tears! It is the absolute BEST! Seriously. (842-5607, 0917-8901219 for orders. P400/30 pcs.)

Bettina is now a dedicated and seasoned teacher running the preschool for 1-6 yr olds at Philippine Montessori Center, White Plains. Mia is a multi-awarded NY-trained artist. Her latest solo exhibit entitled "Life's Kaleidoscope" runs at the Ayala Museum from August 28 to September 11, 2008. I don't know what Mia calls it, but her etching of a young girl standing bravely with dog by her side calling out into the forest, "Hellooo...." always makes me smile. Like it, I wonder after 2 months of blogging, IS ANYONE OUT THERE? Mag-comment naman kayo!

8 comments:

kirk said...

haha chef, ang kulit mo! yah, im a blog reader so your site is always visited. its really nice to see updates from your site every once in a while!

Peachy Juban said...

Thank God for Kirk! I don't feel TOO ignored.

bettiny said...

Wow Peach you should have told me about your blogs earlier. Nakakinis ka talaga, magaling na magluto (i am not sure what mag bake is in pure tagalog hehe) magaling pa magsulat! Aaaaaarrrrrrggghhh! I can't believe you remembered all those details about our childhood but reading it made me feel so good=D. Those were really some of the best times in my life...keep those blogs coming Peach!

MJM said...

i wish i could make good ensaimadas like that....then again, maybe I won't enjoy eating them anymore if I made them myself....

Hope you can visit me soon....

Mayan

ena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ena said...

i like reading your blogs chef. i can almost hear your voice. haha! =)

keep blogging chef.

Kate said...

hi! found out about your blog from a friend :) actually, was looking at the AMAZING cakes you have made. ang galing! i got teary eyed when i saw the lantern cakes :) hope to see more cakes!

Peachy Juban said...

thanks, you flatter me! i hope my cakes only bring tears of joy :)